For the “Orange” Sauce
- In a large bowl, mix together the egg, salt, pepper, and 1 tbsp of oil. Mix well. Stir in the chicken pieces.
- In medium bowl, stir together the flour and ½ cup cornstarch. Add the chicken pieces, stirring to coat.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a wok or deep fryer to 375°F.
- Add the chicken, small batches at a time, and fry for 4-5 minutes until golden crisp (but avoid overcooking the chicken). When done remove the chicken from the oil with tongs and drain on paper towels.
- Clean the wok if you used it and heat for 15 seconds over high heat. Lower to medium high and add 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add the ginger and garlic and stir try until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Add the crushed chiles and green onions, then the rice wine, stirring for a few seconds.
- Add the orange sauce and bring to a boil.
- Stir the remaining 1 tbsp of cornstarch into the water, add this mix to the chicken and heat until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the cooked chicken, stirring until well incorporated.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the orange zest if using.
- Serve over white rice.